5.25.2008

Some more of Heather's North coast pictures

Saturday 24 may

Today we went to help pack tyres at an earth ship, the method of building an eco friendly house using recyclable materials like tyres was really interesting and the dedication of the people building it was inspirational.

After spending an hour there we travelled to see Lotte Glob’s sculpture garden and studio, we were shown around by Martina, Lotte Globs assistant. Her work was really unusual and amusing, she had made lots of little alienish animals along with some more serious work which was very beautiful and unique. Her sculpture garden was lovely to walk around so we decided to have our lunch there.

After lunch we travelled to Durness where we were staying the night and got settled in at the lazy crofters bunkhouse. It was a very nice bunk house with a deck outside and a nice big kitchen. We walked along to the crafts village and went to some of the shops. We first went to Martina’s shop were she sold her artwork, I bought a ceramic dragon or dinosaur (it’s really cute!).

We then went to the chocolate shop called cocoa mountain and got a chocolate each I had a whisky truffle it was luuuuuuuurvely. We also went to the book shop, which was boring hahaha books are no fun but other people bought some (some books are fun though).We walked back to the bunk house and spent like 10 minuets getting ready to go and meet the Durness youth group.

The Durness youth group were all very nice and we went out for dinner at the Sango sands oasis restaurant after our presentation. The restaurant was quite nice but I wasn’t very hungry because I had had a big lunch so I got farmhouse pate, onion rings and orange juice. The onion rings were nice but the pate was not….it was lumpy (I hate lumpy pate….the lady said it wouldn’t be lumpy ). I also had strawberry ice-cream, it was good but I didn’t eat it all, Alison ate a bit though. After dinner we went to Sango sans beach and played sand pictionary (drawing in the sand) and hide and seek . We then walked to the other beach, which I cant’ remember the name of and watched the sun set, it was beautiful. I took lots of pictures of it and rolled down the sand dunes(fun!).

By the time I we got back to the bunk house I was sooooooo tired , we had tea and Orios ( Orios are so goooood) then I went for a shower and went to bed.

I had a great time this day, the best part was ……everything, everything was great I can’t pick a favourite…don’t make me pick lol. The most surprising thing was how good hard work is for your mood, I was in a really good mood after packing tyres….
The most challenging thing was lifting a sledge hammer, I gave up and used a little one instead. What I learnt today was how to pack a tyre full of dirt, which is a handy skill to have (if your planning to build an earth ship!) lol.

Sunday 25 may

Today we woke up to yummy pancakes courtesy of Sean and Alison the master bakers of our group !!. Once full with breakfast, we drove back down to the pretty sunset beach and had a sandcastle building competition, Ruth and Jenny won with there volcano castle…..hmmmm lol. Then we went to Smoo cave to go on the boat tour into the cave. It was amazing inside. The tour guide told us all about how the cave was formed and about the ages of rocks and stuff. It was a bit scary going in the boat but a great experience. Lastly we travelled to Lybster, getting lunch at along the way. At Lybster we went to a glass model making workshop. You were supposed to make a glass fish but I made a glass heart :D. They wont be ready until a few more days . I cant wait to see the outcome .
The most surprising thing about today was that cows go on the beach in the mornings….the baby ones were cute (not so much the big ones…).The best part of today was Smoo cave it was a great experience and so amazing, I also really like the fish that lived in the cave, they were cute. The most challenging thing was making a square sandcastle ( without a bucket), I had never attempted this before but I think I did quite good for my first time. What I learnt today was how Smoo cave was formed, although I cant really remember the details I have an idea sort of..




No comments: